Thursday, November 24, 2016

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith

November 21, 2016

I feel like shouting hurrah for Israel with Paul:) Tina & Selmira were baptized this week! & we were able to see Denise & Kimberly again... miracles!:)

Oh, but I can't believe this week is here. 
18 months & 3 weeks later and my heart is full of gratitude for this opportunity I have been given to serve as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I don't think I have adequate room or time to explain the things that I have learned & seen of the Lord while serving a mission but here are some things I have learned:)

It has been a journey. When I first came out, I struggled. It was so hard for me & I didn't understand why. I asked God countless times to help me and to lift me from the burden I was feeling. I didn't understand why I was going through the struggles I was facing & why they were affecting me in such a way, but I kept having this overwhelming feeling when I prayed that I needed to stay out & keep going. I have not gone through my mission alone. My Savior has carried me.

There are a lot of things that we don't know, and won't have the answers to in this life. But there are things that I do know. I know, with unshaken faith that Jesus is the Christ. He is our Brother, Friend, and Advocate. He loves us personally & has drank the bitter cup. He did it because of His love which never fails. He understands us for who we are & what we can become. God is our loving Heavenly Father. He wants us more than ever to follow His son and return to Him, yet He always gives us the choice. Joseph Smith is a prophet of God. He saw God the Father & Jesus Christ. He was humble, submissive, and faithful. He didn't know everything, but He never denied that which he did know. Jesus Christ's church is here again on the earth in it's fullness & entirety. Because of this beautiful news of the gospel, we know we can be with our families for eternity as we live faithful to Him:) 
We choose how close we will be to the Savior & we can truly come to know Him by reading in the Book of Mormon. It is the word of God & that is my witness to everyone that I see.

Every time I speak with someone, every time I bear my testimony, I feel so much joy and my testimony of the truth is strengthened. I know with my whole heart that this is the work of the Lord. He graciously lets us be a part of it. I know that this is His church & His gospel. It is the only thing that makes sense in this life. If we give our hearts & our will to Him- He can make us into something we never thought we could be. Because of Him, we can be different, because of Him, we can change. 

I wanted to share some of the things that my companions have taught me:)

Sister Donehue taught me the importance of being exactly obedient. 
Sister Brinkerhoff taught me how to be myself.
Sister Waite taught me the value of love.
Sister Nakata taught me that you can work hard and have fun :)
Sister Olsen taught me that there is beauty in everything.
Sister Tait taught me to see the good in every single person.
Sister Jensen taught me to keep going no matter what. 
Sister Noa taught me that it was worth the fight.
Sister Giles taught me what it means to truly be a consecrated disciple of Christ.

Besides getting bedbugs & staph infection on my mission ;) I am grateful for the testimony I have gained of my Savior & His infinite love:) He lives & His gospel is here. What joy that brings:) I am indebted to Him forever, for allowing me this chance to serve Him. I want to echo the words of Paul again...
"But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God."

I love you all so very much. Thank you for your examples of Christlike love & joy in the gospel. I love you & I will see you Thursday!:) 

Xo, Sister Stolworthy














No comments:

Post a Comment